1. Can outsiders buy land in Uttarakhand?
YES, even if you are not a domicile of Uttarakhand, you can buy land in Uttarakhand.
2. Is there a cap on how much land outsiders can buy in Uttarakhand?
YES, outsiders can 1.25 nali land in Uttarakhand.
3. How much is 1 nali?
One nali is 2160 square feet.
4. Are these agricultural or residential plots?
There are both agricultural and residential land in Uttarakhand. And there is mixed use land too. If your land is agricultural and you want to build a house, you will need to convert it to residential.
5. How can you convert agricultural land to residential?
You need to get the 143 form. The local revenue department will take a look at your case and after paying a fee will be converted.
6. How long does the process take?
It all depends on individual cases. Might take from 15 days to a month, max.
7. What about electricity connection?
There is not much difficulty in getting an electric connection. Contact the local lineman who can guide you as to the forms you need to fill, the documents required, and the fee you need to pay.
8. I heard there is always water shortage in the mountains?
NOT really. Everything depends on the location where you are buying. Having said that, we need to understand that water is indeed scarce in the mountains, so minimize wastage and increase storage capacity of rain water.
9. Are there water connections provided by the authorities?
In many locations of Uttarakhand, there are government water supply connections to individual houses. But don’t bet all your money on just the water connection. Always go for rain water harvesting.